Semen Collection, Freezing and Storing
Why would you want to freeze a dog’s semen?
- To export semen to other breeders around the world
- To enable line breeding
- As an insurance policy that you can call on if your dog is injured or if semen quality declines due to illness or old age
- If stud dog is required to mate a number of bitches in a short period of time
How does it work?
Southview ReproVets are experts in freezing canine semen and there are puppies around the world from semen processed here.
- Semen is frozen in a pelleted form which are easier for inseminators
- Stored in cryovials in liquid nitrogen tanks
- Specialised extenders and techniques yield excellent quality semen
- During processing one frozen pellet is thawed to determine how many breeding units
(inseminations) from each extraction
- 2-4 breeding units per extraction depending on semen quality
- The semen can be stored indefinitely without deterioration
Freeze semen from dog incl. first year of storage €300
Freeze semen from multiple dogs incl. first year of storage €270 per dog
Store frozen semen – first 3 vials – per annum €50.00
Store frozen semen –per extra cane (3 vials) – per annum €20.00