CANINE REPRODUCTION SPECIALISTS
There has always been a tradition of canine fertility work here in Southview Veterinary Hospital but in 2004 we took it to another level. We spent time in the USA with Richard and Sharyn Conole, of Camelot Farms, Texas. In Camelot they have devoted the last 15 years to developing semen processing and breeding concepts to maximise the chances of a successful mating using cooled and frozen semen. We are now qualified to freeze semen using their patented Camelot Sires Extenders.
We also studied with Dr Kent Law of Abilene, Kansas a world renowned veterinary surgeon who specialises in surgical insemination of bitches and have adopted his techniques with great success to attain 90% conception rates using frozen semen and surgical insemination.
We would like to introduce these methods now to breeders of show dogs in Ireland and the UK. Please feel free to give us a call or e-mail us for further information, we would be delighted to meet you and discuss your breeding programmes.
- Artificial Insemination
- Semen collection and freezing
- Sperm analysis
- Semen Storage
- Cytology, Bacterial culture of swabs and Progesterone Testing
- Export and Import of Semen
- Specializing in reproductive problems in dogs and bitches
There are many reasons that people have difficulty getting a successful mating for their bitch: owner inexperience, problems with the bitch or problems with the stud dog are all commonly seen here at Southview. artificial insemination Conception rates of at least 90% are possible using our systematic approach to breeding.
There are several options available to you
a. We can take semen from the stud dog and mate the bitch at the appropriate time
b. We can do a surgical insemination on the bitch using either fresh or frozen semen.
Surgical inseminations do have a higher fertility rate but we have very good results with vaginal AI methods also.
FROZEN SEMEN AND WHY WOULD I FREEZE – FROZEN SEMEN?
- We process and store semen in a pelleted form rather than in straws and use a special extender to protect the sperm when freezing it. This has yielded excellent quality frozen semen with high conception rates and puppy survival.
- A freeze takes approximately two hours to complete. During processing one frozen pellet is thawed and assessed for recovery. This end-assessment allows a calculation to determine the number of pellets required to yield 120 million normal living sperm – the number required for successful vaginal insemination.
- One ejaculate may yield up to seven inseminations depending on semen quality and character.
- The semen can be stored indefinitely without deterioration provided storage conditions remain constant – similar to a state of suspended animation. We charge storage on a yearly basis per three ejaculates, this enables us to update our owner files every year and keep in touch with you.
WHY WOULD I WANT TO FREEZE MY DOG’S SEMEN?
- ability to line breed long after death from old age
- storage for usage at times when sire is fully booked
- an insurance policy that you can call on when your dog becomes injured, incapacitated or when semen quality declines before old age secondary to a serious disease process
- the advantage of semen of a known quality and motility for breeding
- the option of puppy sale agreements whereby male pups from a litter are sold on the understanding that when of age semen can be collected and used for breeding if the said sold pup develops of sufficient quality.
- Breeds with smaller gene pool acknowledge that a world wide gene pool is the best hope for the viability of the breed and frozen semen export and import is a more economical way of achieving this rather than individual animal exchange.
BREEDING SOUNDNESS AND OBSETETRICS
When investigating infertility in the male we use:
- Blood tests
- Ultrasound scanning
- Semen analysis to count sperm number and assess quality
- Bacterial culture
This can allow us to diagnose his infertility problems and give you a long term prognosis on his breeding future
Bitch Infertility tests available
- Progesterone blood test
- Ultrasound examination of uterus and ovaries
- Bacterial culture of vaginal swab
- Exploratory laparotomy to examine her uterus and ovaries
Through these tests we can determine if your bitch is have normal breeding cycles, if she has an infection, if she has uterine or ovarian cysts or if she has any defects of her reproductive tract.
- Using ultrasound scanning we can determine pregnancy from 25 days
- We can treat your bitch for mismating with a hormone injection
- We have an emergency team available at all times for Caesarian Sections
- Post whelping advice and care are available either from our nurses or if necessary our veterinary surgeons
IMPORT AND EXPORT OF SEMEN
- We import and export canine semen to Australia, Europe and the US
- We will organise the necessary paperwork for the canine semen
- We can organise rental of liquid nitrogen tanks for transportation of semen
- We will organise FedEx to transport the semen
- We can have all necessary blood tests and treatments necessary for your dog to transport the semen
SOUTHVIEW VETERINARY HOSPITAL CANINE FERTILITY WORK PRICE LIST
- Semen Analysis 100.00
- Freeze Semen from dog 250.00
- Store 3 ejaculates of frozen semen for one year 100.00
- Artificial Insemination of Bitch 80.00
- Surgical Insemination of Bitch (approx depending on size) 300.00
- Progesterone Blood Test 31.50
- Rental Transport Tank up to 10 days 50.00
- Rental Transport Tank full of Liquid Nitrogen up to 10 days 110.00
- Import and Export Certification 150.00
- Blood Test for Australia (approx) 90.00